Full Version: Anybody Taking Metanx?

21 Jul 2008
To: ALL

Question - Does anyone have experience taking Metanx? Metanx is officially labeled as "Medical Food", composed of primarily high dosage of folates (folic acid), vitamins B6 and B12 and a few other sundry items.

This was recommended to me by both my endocrinologist and my podiatrist - both stating that it might (or might not) help neuropathy, but it can't hurt to try if my insurance will cover it (which it does).

So I am trying it - supposedly it can help with some diabetic neuropathy issues. I have been taking it twice a day for only a few days - I will advise if I see any positive (or negative) significant changes.

23 Jul 2008

Mark

Interesting - have never heard of it but do keep us posted on how it works.

3 Nov 2008

This is a follow-up report on my use of Metanx - a food-grade vitamin supplement that is only available by prescription. Basically Metanx is a high dosage of folic-acid along with vitamins B6 and B12 . The manufacturer claims that the vitamins in Metanx are in an active form that allows the body to easily metabolize the vitamins. Information regarding the composition of Metanx and how the manufacturer claims it works can be found at www.metanx.com.

Metanx was recommended by both my endocrinologist and a podiatrist. They both said that some patients had positive results, but not all (so what's new?). I have been taking Metanx for 3.5 months and I can say that Metanx has definitely had a positive impact on my diabetic neuropathy. I have been experiencing less foot pain of almost all types. Burning, tingling and the ice-pick pain (if you have it, you know what I mean) have all been significantly reduced. I don't think it has made any impact on the numbness, however the numbness has not gotten any worse. I find I have much less discomfort when sitting, walking or cycling, and have been getting significantly better sleep.

All-in-all, I definitely consider Metanx to be a positive tool in my management of Diabetes and the associated neuropathy. I certainly plan on continuing the use of Metanx for the forseeable future. If you have neuropathy pain, you may want to discuss this with your personal physician to see if Metanx might be an acceptable option for you. Perhaps some other brand of Folic Acid along with vitamins B6 and B12 might have the same net results - that is something to look into.

By the way - I have no connection to Metanx or the manufacturer.

3 Nov 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#3] 3 Nov 2008

Wow, Mark. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting, and I'm pleased for your improvement, too! :)

3 Nov 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#3] 4 Nov 2008

I'm going to pass this info onto the folks at the Diabetes Support Group meeting tomorrow night who are suffering from neuropathy. Thanks for the info.

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2014 Project Beehive Forum